-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|692|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Delete Button on Showcases

Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 05:48
Jayenkai

Delete Button on Showcases

I *think* Delete should now be working on 'Things' (Showcase/Article/Snippets/etc) (S2 only)

I've added a set of security measures into place, so if we get some complete and total nutjob posting evil PM's to people, then deleting them once they've been read so that they don't get found out, I at least get some kind of archive that I can look back on when folk warn me about that kind of thing.

Annoyingly, though, I still have the age-old issue of 'What happens to all the comments when you delete something?'

Example
I post a shit ProcGen Showcase
Pakz comes along and posts a BETTER ProcGen example, in the comments of my ProcGen
I delete my ProcGen Showcase, because |!!ARGH| RAWR |ARGH!!|
Pakz's ProcGen is now automatically deleted because there's no longer anywhere for the comment to be, because my showcase no longer exists.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do with those, without ending up with 'The great big pile of comments that are leftover from deleted things', then let me know.

(Note : This dilemma is exactly the reason we didn't previously have a delete button!!)

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 06:32
cyangames
Perhaps add a hidden flag in the comments / posts table?

I dunno if that would fly well with people but at least it's not deleting them instead.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 06:36
spinal
I'd be more than happy with 'hidden' rather than deleted.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 06:39
Jayenkai
Yes, but even if I hide the showcase, what are the comments displaying under?
How would you find the comment?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 08:44
cyangames
True, I mean, I guess you could say...

If showcase has been mentioned as hidden, replace the content with generic lorem ipusm or something else fairly placeholder instead?

I'd expect such an event to be highly unlikely in the first case, everyone here seems to be pretty awesome so...

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 08:56
Jayenkai
Indeed, but we've had a number of instances of folk leaving, and deleting all their content.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 09:13
Pakz
Maybe the replies could be put on the user account of the user who created it. He would be able to read his replies and retrieve any code.