-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|701|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> TheRevillsNewPC

Sun, 28 May 2017, 02:07
therevillsgames
New PC Time What do you think of this build: Linkage
Sun, 28 May 2017, 02:07
Jayenkai
I still don't trust Solid State drives..

Or, rather, I do.. ... I just don't trust Windows to not completely kill a drive with it's constant read/writing.

Even now I can hear my drive clicking away frantically, doing whatever the hell it is that Windows does in the background, ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!
Having a Solid State as a primary sounds like.. Well, my recent HP laptop incident..
.. Except that was a standard drive!!
Meh, whatever..

Other than that, seems alright, but I'm not as up on my tech as I once was.
I've heard good things about the 1080, though. That supports VR, right!?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sun, 28 May 2017, 04:11
cyangames
That is a cool website! Also, yeah, The Samsung EVO 850 is a really great quality SSD good choice!

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Sun, 28 May 2017, 16:06
rockford
It'll definitely be enough to play Manic Miner on a Speccy emu, that's or sure!
Mon, 29 May 2017, 01:17
Jayenkai
The most important Spec of all!
Wed, 31 May 2017, 03:06
therevillsgames
I've been running an SSD on Windows 8.1 for a couple of years now, no issues and great boot times!

I havent built a PC in 8 years now... so it is time for a good upgrade, so I dont intend to update for at least another 4/5
Wed, 31 May 2017, 04:44
Jayenkai
Hope it all turns out nice for you!
Keep us updated with oodles of build-pics, and benchmarks and stuff

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 08:51
Pakz
I am not buying a regular desktop anymore. The electric bill can get pretty high. 70 watts on avarage use a year was around 70 dollars i read recently. Those desktops can have 500 watts. That would be 500 dollars of electricity a year. Then you need a monitor (or 4)

Those netbooks back then only cost less then 10 dollars a year on avarage use. I did quite some programming on netbooks and it was a pretty good experience.
Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 10:55
steve_ancell
That's only if you have it running 24/7 though Pakz.
Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 12:19
Jayenkai
Who doesn't leave a desktop running 24/7?! Where else are you going to host your home server!?!?!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 08 Jun 2017, 22:30
therevillsgames
I built it yesterday

Here are some pics:

The boxes:
    Installation of the CPU:
    RAM:
    CPU Cooler:
    M/B and GPU installed:
    The mess:
    Its alive!
    Cool BIOS:
    Windows 10 installed:

Notes:

I changed the M/B to the ASUS Z270-AR, the cooler to the D15 and the PSU to Fractal 650W
    I would prefer the CPU directly into the M/B instead of ASUS's "easy" clip thing...
    I wish I had installed the CPU cooler after I installed the motherboard in the case and plugged in the cables, it made it was difficult to plug them in!
    It killed my bad back doing the install... but that was yesterday

Overall looking good! Now for installing the software...
Fri, 09 Jun 2017, 01:59
rockford
Nice
Fri, 09 Jun 2017, 03:51
Jayenkai
That CPU Cooler looks like a reject from a sci-di show!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 09 Jun 2017, 22:58
therevillsgames
It is huge... but very good and the fans are excellent!
Sat, 10 Jun 2017, 06:03
Pakz
A fan in my laptop started making a worn sound last week. Not to sure how much life is left in it. 4 months to go and it lasted 4 years.

I hope it lasts till the new laptop cpu's from intel get released in august. Its said there is a 30% improvement in speed. The current 7th gen was also around 30% faster(single core) then my 4th gen proc.
Javascript and compiling should be a lot faster with the new cpu's.

The ryzen mobile cpu's are said to come in 2018. That is a long wait.
Sat, 10 Jun 2017, 07:27
GfK
Jesus.... I'm not saying it's big, but I can see that CPU cooler on Google maps. :s
Sat, 10 Jun 2017, 22:04
therevillsgames
Well I've been putting off building a new computer for the past 2 years... I did start looking at bits and bobs a few months before the new AMD CPUs, so I waited again...

Still installing software and going thru the old PC...