-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|480|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> PS4 Games

Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 14:33
GfK
finally caved in and got a PS4. Fancy GTA5, F1 2016, No Mans Sky, already got Overwatch, Ratchet & Clank and COD3.
Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 14:33
rockford
I highly recommend The Witcher III and The Last Of Us Remastered. Play the latter first, as once you're into The Witcher, you won't be playing anything else for a while!
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 00:12
Jayenkai
So, what's the verdict?
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 04:44
GfK
I really like it so far. Though my 7yr old is addicted to Ratchet & Clank so I haven't even had chance to try much else. I got a free 14-day trial of NowTV which I'm gonna have a look at when I can commandeer the gamepad for a few minutes by myself - apart from Sky Sports F1 I don't see the point of keep paying £60+ a month for Sky.

When I took it upstairs to set it up, I nobbled a couple of AA batteries out of the kitchen drawer as I assumed I'd need them, and none would be included. Didn't realise but the PS4 pad has a bespoke pre-installed battery, and you can leave the PS4 in "rest mode", connect the controller to a USB port, and it'll charge itself up. I've got the PS4 set to shut off completely after 3 hours, which should be plenty to keep the battery charged up. It'll also download and install updates in rest mode, so no more going to play a game, and sitting waiting half an hour while it does it.

Might try Overwatch later today, and if I get time tonight I'll get stuck into Call of Duty I think. Not really a kid's game, that!
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 04:56
Jayenkai
Yeah, PS3 dual shock has a built in battery, too. Handy! Although the PS3 doesn't appear to charge the pad whilst on standby. .. Or at least, I don't *think* it does. There's no "charging the pad" LED!!

Does PS4 still run classic original PS1 games? PS3 does, which was a nice surprise for the Parappaholic that I am.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 06:34
GfK
I don't know about backwards compatibility.

I tried to play Overwatch earlier - said there was an update, and I could continue playing without the update if I didn't want network functions (which I wasn't fussed about). But the game itself insisted I must install the update first.

It's over 6GB, and apparently it will take about nine hours.

Sat watching Paw Patrol with my kid now.
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 06:45
Jayenkai
6Gb for a console game update?!
Foooook!!!
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 06:49
GfK
Yeah, I'm not even bothered about playing it - it just came bundled with the PS4 and Ratchet & Clank.

We got ultra-stuck on Ratchet & Clank (to the point where gamepads were about to start flying), so we thought we'd have a look at Overwatch instead. Turns out... nope. Not today!
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 12:01
GfK
Success!

Finally nailed the sticky bit in R&C! My kid stole the gamepad for the next bit and managed to take out a big feck-off tank all by herself. She's learning!
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 12:04
Jayenkai
Advance to Level 8
Manic Miner!
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 12:14
rockford
PS4 game and console updates are bad. XBoxOne updates are even worse! The XBoxOne updates itself more often and takes far longer for the same game as PS4 (my son has one and we often compare).

Speaking of updates, I had a 2+GB update for LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens yesterday. Today I get ANOTHER 2.xx GB update (different sizes, so I presume different updates). And you know what, I haven't got a fecking clue what's new or different. :/
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 12:39
Jayenkai
God damn it...
Give the lazy devs the ability, and they won't just Use it, they'll downright Abuse it..
Fuckers..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 08:16
GfK
Turns out I can't play Overwatch at all, as it only works when you've got a subscription to Playstation Plus or whatever it's called.
Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 08:22
Jayenkai
... The fuck!?
Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 08:23
GfK
My mind is boggled. I have little to no interest in online gaming.
Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 09:12
rockford
PS+ is more than just an online service for playing online game.

It gives you "free" downloadable games and content for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita each month. These are full, commercial games as well as some indie stuff. You can add them to your library and play them whenever you want, as long as you keep up the subscription service.

IGN has a deal right now where a full 12months is less than £30 - uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/28/daily-deals-save-25-on-a-12-month-playstation-plus-membership-2999-for-today-only
Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 10:03
GfK
Didn't know that. It might be worth a look, in that case.
Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 15:36
therevillsgames
How's No Man's Sky?
Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 23:23
rockford
How's No Man's Sky?

It's not been released yet; it was delayed. It's new launch date is 9th August.
Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 02:28
GfK
Yeah it's not out yet. The delay was down to [at least in part] a 3-year legal battle over the game's title.

Apparently Sky own the word 'sky'. Completely fucking stupid but there it is.
Mon, 01 Aug 2016, 04:01
rockford
There's another legal case looming too, with regard to the algo that generates the universe.

And I agree, it should not be possible to trademark/copyright a single word that's in genereal everyday use. Its font and creative use/style and use for it's role, yes. The word itself, no. It's like "EDGE" all over again...