-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|470|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> On Topic -> Jay Buys an iPhone

Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 02:26
Jayenkai
Got a text last night, and struggled for about 10 minutes to get the fucking thing to display.
God damn fucking Windows bloody Mobile bollocks!
Win10 is wonderful on my desktop, but Windows on my phone hasn't been good since my Orange SPV back in 2003!
Actually, even then it would regularly "Swirly Circle of Doom" when you were in the middle of something, making the whole system run about as slow as a Nokia Brick..

Bloody Windows.

I rarely ever use my phone.
People (Usually family) occasionally text/ring me because they're all tech-illiterate and can't work email & facebook.

So, I guess I do "need" a phone.
But, what to go for?

An iPhone would be my first choice, but the price.. eeek!
Another option is the Samsung Gear. If I go for the top-end newer model there's a VR headset that can go along with it.
Which again brings up.. The price..

Or do I just settle for some cheap-ass Android phone? Even the "shitty" ones are more usable than my sodding Windows phone currently is..

*shrugs*

Any suggestions?

What phones do you guys currently sport?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 04:26
spinal
I'm reasonably happy with my iPhone. Other than pocket fluff being hard to properly clean out of the lightning port. I got some rubber dust covers for that, seems to be good. I wouldn't mind upgrading but there's no way in hell I'm paying £350 for a used one.

Helen has stuck with Android for her past few phones, shes just got some big screen something or other for about £100ish new, so there's the main difference there.

Generally, Apple has better security and GUI consistancy, but you know that from your iPad. Android is cheaper, uch cheaper.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 04:49
Jayenkai
SIM wise, I think I'll stick with Three.co.uk, whichever phone I end up with.

They have a 3-2-1 structure. 3p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per Mb.
If you need more (eg, if you're stuck in a hospital for 6 months!!) they do a 12Gb, 3000 texts, 300 minutes add-on bundle for £20. Which seems reasonable enough if I happen to be fucked again!
Otherwise, for any decent amount of data on contract, you're looking at about £30 a month.. And since most of the time I'm NOT stuck in a hospital, and am instead stuck in the house, that would be 99% unused and wasted.

Three's PayAsYouGo Tariff and addons

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 06:06
spinal
I'm paying <poundsign>10 per month on pay and go with o2 and get something like 1Gb data, too many voice minutes and unlimited texts. Not too bad, hardly ever phone anyone, rarely run out of data unless I do something stupid like update apps.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 06:11
Jayenkai
Like I said, though, if I'm paying £10 a month, and sitting in the house all day every day, then that's £120 a year that's practically gone to waste.
PayAsYouGo isn't great for everyone, but it works fine for those of us who don't talk

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 06:32
GfK
I use a Galaxy J5 for my own use, and got given an iPhone which I use for work. Dunno if its a 4 or 4S, but, FREE.

Currently have them both on TPO which uses EE network - as I live at the arse-end of beyond and can't get a signal on anything else. But TPO are switching to Three network in a few weeks so they can use 4G, so after that I doubt I'll have a mobile at all. Stupid paying money when nobody can offer a reliable service.
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 07:03
Jayenkai
Whenever anyone visits here, their signal cuts out.
Our house is surrounded by masts. Two at the cricket ground, one where the new estate is, and one down near the church.
It's a hub of signals, and it's all too much for everybody's poor little phones!

Three seems to be the only one that works, here.

It'd be great if they made a network analyser or something, to scan and find what works best.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 09:54
rockford
I'm on BT and pay £5 a month for hundreds of minutes, unlimited text and a few Gig of data. I never use the data or the free minutes.

My phone is an Elephone P9000 - https://www.trustedreviews.com/elephone-p9000-review, which got good reviews all round, despite the phone being cheap as chips.
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 10:30
Dabz
I have an iphone, it's wrecked, I had a Samsung, it was wrecked... I had a Windows phone too... Wrecked!

Moral of the story... I wreck phones, and will never ever be able to keep a nice phone... Nice!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Fri, 22 Jul 2016, 10:42
Jayenkai
I'm currently rather tempted by the fun of playing with the 240fps camera on an iPhone SE.

Pricey fucker, though.
If I pay for it in-full, it's £439 for the 64Gb model. (I imagine the 16Gb model will fill up exceedingly rapidly, with 4K video and Live Photos)

On the otherhand, I could go on a contract, but then I'm paying for all those unused minutes/txts/data. I'm skint, but I'm not crazy!!

Hmmm.. :\

Decisions, decisions...

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 23 Jul 2016, 02:30
Jayenkai
So.. Um..
I ordered an iPhone.
SE.. 64Gb. 439fuckpounds.

Thanks to the wonderfully unexpected £100 donation I received a few days ago, from @GamingCentrum, I was able to "GO KERAZEEE" and overspend a little more than I probably should've.

I've also ordered a Nano-Sim from Three. Another new number, but nobody'll care. I think I only have about 4 people that regularly text me. They already know I'm shit at keeping phone numbers

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 23 Jul 2016, 04:04
GfK
Dabz - get one of those big fat JCB bombproof phones. They're specially designed for clumsy fuckers.
Sat, 23 Jul 2016, 09:28
Dabz

Dabz - get one of those big fat JCB bombproof phones. They're specially designed for clumsy fuckers.

lol... Thats what I need like!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Sun, 24 Jul 2016, 23:51
Jayenkai
*ugh*
Tracking's finally appeared online for my phone.

"Your Apple order will be delivered today by James, your DPD driver, between 12:57 and 13:57"

... One o'Clock!?

It's only 9am, and I've already finished posting tomorrow's AGameAWeek in preparation of being able to piss about with my new phone.
*sigh*

Impatient Jay Waits Again

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 25 Jul 2016, 09:39
Jayenkai
Camera In The Dark!

It's not quite dark, yet, but it's dark enough for a comparison shot.

My DSC-HX90 set to "Night Time" mode, whereby it takes a photo with a long shutter time, to get a nice lit image.

My new iPhone SE! No fiddling with settings, just switched to camera and took a pic.

Quite a nice comparison.
I must admit, the iPhone image when zomed in looks very "jpeg"y. Not as crisp as the proper camera.
But for a quick-pic, that's not too bad.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 25 Jul 2016, 10:57
rockford
I have to admit, the iPhone camera does its stuff without any fuss. My camera can be a right bastard (gets nice photos, but sometime you have to faff). My wife's iPhone 6 though - point shoot, great picture (baring in mind the subject matter) and very fast.
Mon, 25 Jul 2016, 12:52
Jayenkai
Alarming how much "notification" apps I've had to install on the thing.
Twitter, with all my many accounts, Facebook, Words with Friends and more.
See, because I've switched my Pebble from the iPad to the iPhone, I now need to have those apps on the phone, otherwise they won't notify me from the iPad.
Bit of a pain in the arse, if I'm honest, especially when it comes to redoing all those fucking Twitter accounts, and trying to remember all the damn passwords!!!!

But I think that's most stuff done.

Tonight I had a play with the Health app. It's taking step and sleep data from my Pebble watch, and blood pressure and heart rate from my "iHealth" blood pressure strap thing.
Neato!

... Down from 64 to 47Gb already. So much for "buy the big one, to fit all the slow-mo vids onto it!!"

That'd be all those stupid useless feckin' apps. God knows Facebook isn't exactly small.
*sigh*

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 03:21
Jayenkai
Adding more and more onto the poor little thing!
Words With Friends is now installed on it, even though much like other things, I'll be primarily using it on the iPad.
The only reason it's on there is to again send notifications to my Pebble.

Also, I've realised I can no longer pause my music, nor turn my volume up and down with my Pebble, since that's hooked up to the phone, and I tend to use the iPad to play my media.
.. Awkward..

I blame Bluetooth, with it's silly "Only pair to one thing" rules..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 07:28
Pakz
Does it run gadget? And can it. Play more then 4 channels?
I checked yesterday to see how much a iphone would cost me. Things are expensive. 400 euro for cheapest.
Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 08:52
Jayenkai
KORG Gadget LE is locked to 3 channels, but the full product should apparently cope with "unlimited" channels, albeit dependent on processor speed.
The iPhone SE seems to be able to cope with quite a lot.

*copies library of tracks, from iPad backup, over to iPhone Gadget*

Haven't yet reinstalled all my gadgets, so my newer tracks don't quite work. so I've tried an old track.

https://agameaweek.com/Music?Enigmatically-=-Evolved
This tune plays wonderfully smoothly, even with it's 12 instrument tracks.
No problems!!!
It's also quite much more usable than I thought it'd be, on the tiny screen.

BUT.. If you are planning to use Gadget on the phone, I'd avoid the smaller 16Gb size.
I've already used 10Gb, and I've barely installed anything, yet!!

|edit| installed all the instrument packs and things that I could, but unfortunately, IM1 (Darwin) doesn't seem to run on iPhone. Whether they'll add it on later, I'm not sure, but that means a lot of my CHOONS over the past year are unplayable, due to missing instruments.
Everything else seems to work fine, though! |edit|

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 10:09
Pakz
Yeah, I have a ipad mini 16gb. Can not install many big apps. Korg Module won't fit anymore.

Next ipad(or iphone) is going to be at least 32 gb. As for Iphone, I am not to sure yet if I need one. Maybe When the savings account reaches tax/benefit ceiling in a few years.

Do want some savings just in case I get cured in my pre retirement so I can get a car and drivers license and some education.

Gadget keeps crashing when I get over 10 tracks on ipad mini. To be save I need to stay under 6. Real bummer since I really liked the amount of channels on xm's.
Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 02:40
Jayenkai

View on YouTube
Wed, 31 Aug 2016, 09:06
Jayenkai
Bought my sister one..
"For Xmas", but needed.
After 6 months around South America, her phone was struggling to breath. Must've been too hot!
So, I ordered her an iPhone, which had better last longer than the year that most of her phones last.
... Grrrr!

... Oh, and, skint again!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Wed, 31 Aug 2016, 15:13
cyangames
I finally bought myself a smart phone after a year with my brick last month, mostly due to Pokemon Go.

Only £60, seems to do the trick mind, just a bit slower than most. But, for the price, I'm fine with it.

www.doogeemobile.com/doogee-x5-pro.html

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!