-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|455|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> SoTweaking

Tue, 19 Jul 2016, 12:49
Jayenkai
OK.. I *think* I've repaired the issue, now. Old posts that include £'s should (*should*) be working fine.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 19 Jul 2016, 12:49
Jayenkai
What a total pain in the arse that was! £
Tue, 19 Jul 2016, 13:12
rockford
Noooooooo! You can't fix things Jay! It wouldn't be SoCoder if it was all fixed and shiny and worked properly!
Tue, 19 Jul 2016, 15:09
therevillsgames
I thought this thread was going to be about the concurrency and something to do with brexit
Wed, 20 Jul 2016, 02:53
Jayenkai
New rule : Don't try learning regex from websites. It practically NEVER works with the insanity of your own regex formatting!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 16 Aug 2016, 06:27
Jayenkai
Been trimming what silly bits of overly-repetitive SQL Requests I can find.
There's still a bunch of repetition in there. The Latest Items sidebar is a MASSIVE amount of repetition!

If I were to redo-from-start, I'd've had the foresight to add topic titles into the posts database.
At the time I was thinking along the lines of "What would you need a topic-title for every single post for!?" but now that I look back, there's a case of every Post ID needing an extra sql request to find the title of the Topic ID!
Derp!!

Bloody sidebars!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 16 Aug 2016, 07:03
Jayenkai
Server Time!

How long the pages take to load, *10,000, so when it says 10,000 that's about a second it's taking to serve the page.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 16 Aug 2016, 10:59
Jayenkai
The site's now gathering data for this site, my Jay Archive, the scrawny little Little Lever site that's pretty much ignored by the entire universe, and my AGameAWeek Wordpress site.
Happy to report that Socoder isn't any more of a struggle to the server than AGameAWeek is... To put that into perspective, my shittily scrambled-together "I DUNNO WOT I DEWIN!" php script is no less broken than the prufeshunal WordPress script.. Woot!

So.. What is it that's doing that occasional slowdown blip, then?
Hmmm..
Will have to keep my eye on things, but I'm starting to wonder if it's the daily server backup kicking in.
.. Hmmm...

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 16 Aug 2016, 14:47
Jayenkai
Over the course of today, I've tweaked and tucked like a crazy man, and have now got it from an average of 0.15 second per page, to around 0.08, which is fairly good going, if I do say so myself!

And that's without tweaking the actual forum code.. Just those pesky sidebars! No wonder nobody likes adding sidebars, anymore!!!

I'll probably do some more nip'n'tucking tomorrow, but for now.. I damn well need a sleep!!
G'night, all!

Oh, and the "stutter" seems to be at around 14 minutes past the hour.. (If you load the server_time page at about a quarter past, you should see a few spikes.) I still haven't figured out what's causing it, but I am at least tracking it down a bit!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 18 Aug 2016, 02:37
Jayenkai
Topics have been trimmed as much as I possibly can. They're still as complicated as forum topics would be, what with all the necessary user-data and all that gubbins, but the SQL requests have been significantly cut down, so that's nice!

Next, I'll get started on tweaking the "things" (showcases/articles/etc) so if you're lurking around on those, expect to see some oddities over the next few hours.

.. But first.. Dinner.. 'cos my stomach is growling!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 23 Aug 2016, 23:05
Jayenkai
Doing a full, complete, long and lengthy, file-by-file backup. Apologies if it causes slowdown. Will probably take a few hours!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 27 Aug 2016, 01:43
Jayenkai
Now taking requests for further tweaks.
I tried adding a drag'n'drop uploader, yesterday.
It didn't go well.
In fact, pretty much nothing I did, yesterday, went particularly well!!

Bah!!
But if you've any other suggestions, I'm happy to give them a try..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 29 Aug 2016, 08:00
Jayenkai
I know it's probably worthless doing it, but today I tidied up the Wed.Workshop display code a bit.

A few tweaks, and it now looks a bit more like my Archive looks, which is odd.
I guess, so many years later, I'm still making things in exactly the same style!
*looks at his games*

.. Yup, that's definitely the problem!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 06 Sep 2016, 12:58
Jayenkai
Umm...
You might notice something a little broken, right now!

I'm working on a fix.
Apologies!!

*phew*

OK, I think I fixed it..
Brown-Trousers moment, there!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 06 Sep 2016, 13:26
cyangames
Have you had a look at www.gtmetrix.com for optimisation and bottleneck checking Jay?

I use it almost daily on refreshcartridges.co.uk and it's pretty handy for the free stuff it gives you.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!