-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|594|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Showerless

Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 00:38
spinal
Dammit, shower's broke.
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 00:38
Jayenkai
Time for a nice deep relaxing bath!
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 00:41
rockford
My very first shower "breakage" was on 23rd April 1993, the day I got married. I rarely have baths, preferring to shower. As it happens I hadn't heated up the hot water tank enough for a bath anyway, so I had to shower in freezing cold water (the heating element was completely fecked). Like computers, when they work they're great. When they don't thy are bastards!
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 00:55
spinal
Googled the symptoms, power light flickers faintly but once switched on the light goes off. Everyone is suggesting that the cut off switch has burned out or suffered some other damage.
For safety I have removed the fuse from the main fuse box, don't want a faulty switch being live. Helen's got an electrician coming out today to have a look. Hopefully it is just the switch and will cost ~10GBP + callout rather than needing a new shower.

Can't really have a bath, boiler is on the blink, had someone look at it, suggested it would be more cost effective to get a new one rather than fix the current one (it's quite old), but we're looking into replacing the whole system anyway, so why pay loads to fix a boiler when we're replacing it anyway.

|edit| Dammit, Apple have hidden the pound sign.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 03:31
steve_ancell
Mine fucked up a couple of years back. Found a direct replacement for £50 at B&Q, fitted it myself, saved myself shitloads of dosh.
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 03:34
GfK
Got to be super-careful fitting leccy showers. If it's an old one, and the new one has a higher wattage then chances are you'll need to replace the mains cable right back to the fuse box as well - or at least get a pro to have a look at it.
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 08:33
Dabz
Oh... After having to use the shower for weeks on end, the moment I dropped my back chaff in a steaming bath of Radox bubbles was absolute bliss... I just melted like a marsbar on a dashboard in the summer... In... Erm, Eqypt!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 09:07
rockford
Yeah, definitely not this British Summer!
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 11:19
spinal
Electrician came out, apparently was a nice guy. There was definitely something wrong with the switch, 240v going in only 80v coming out. He replaced it, all working fine now. Reasonable price too.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 11:26
rockford
Sorted

Now go and have a shower - you stink!
Thu, 30 Jun 2016, 01:22
steve_ancell
GfK Got to be super-careful fitting leccy showers. If it's an old one, and the new one has a higher wattage then chances are you'll need to replace the mains cable right back to the fuse box as well - or at least get a pro to have a look at it.

The replacement looked identical to the original except for the model name, the one I have now is a Triton Cara. I can't remember the model name of the original but the one I have now is 8.5KW and the wiring is proper heavy stuff. I also replaced the big red switch on the outer wall for one that has a higher wattage rating.

New one has been in use since 2014 and still no problems yet, although I do have a peek at the wiring to make sure nothing is melting once in a while.