-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|611|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Thimbleweed

Fri, 04 Mar 2016, 02:03
therevillsgames
New Thimbleweed Park Trailer: Linkage Looks great!
Fri, 04 Mar 2016, 02:03
GfK
i don't like the pixely graphics style. I know it's meant to look "retro" but it doesn't work for me.
Fri, 04 Mar 2016, 03:07
rockford
Funny you say that, because I love pixel graphics and retro games and I don't think much of the style either.

The other thing that got to me was that it all looked so lifeless. There was no life in the world the characters were in - no trees or grass blowing in the wind, ripples in water, clouds moving across the sky etc. The only bit there seemed any life (fireflies) still looked dead.
Fri, 04 Mar 2016, 19:59
therevillsgames
It is the look they are going for. Its sort of a sequel of Maniac Mansion set in 1987 and its meant to look like it.

I love this old style look.

Oh and the game is still WIP...
Sat, 05 Mar 2016, 03:42
Jayenkai
WIP or not, I can't imagine they'd change the art style, now!
Imagine everything they'd need to have to redraw!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 05 Mar 2016, 18:31
therevillsgames
I posted Rockford criticisms on the Thimbleweed blog and Ron (creator of Monkey Island etc) replied:

Ron Gilbert ✓ - Mar 05 at 11:12
Things like background animation go in during a polish stage. There is no sense wasting time on them now, it's best to get the game done, then go back with what time you have add background animations where they are most needed. One of the nice things about not having a publisher is you don't have to do crazy things like finish sections of your game out of order so executive and marketing people can understand what you're making. I'm enjoying the freedom to make a game the way it should be made.

https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/thimbletrailer3#comment
Sun, 06 Mar 2016, 03:08
rockford
Yeah, I can understand and appreciate that. I just didn't know how far along the game was.

But still, it was a valid and constructive criticism.
Sun, 06 Mar 2016, 04:31
Dabz
Which roughly translates too...

"You do need to understand that due to executive and marketing people, we usually have to work on different things not in order just so they can whet the publics appetite at the product, but since we dont have that problem, what we'll do is release trailers for marketing purposes that doesn't reflect the finished game, because thats obviously better."

Or, how I actually read it...

"fuck"

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Sun, 06 Mar 2016, 13:12
therevillsgames
But still, it was a valid and constructive criticism.

Totally agree, thats why I posted on their blog site.

@Dabz... yeah that could bite them too. Apparently that new trailer was needed for some Microsoft event or something. I dont think they spent a lot of time on it.

It is a huge improvement on the first trailer:

View on YouTube
Sun, 06 Mar 2016, 13:48
rockford
Watching that older trailer reminded me - the balloon really pisses me off in the newer trailer. The string ends (under the hand holding them) "wobble" as the balloon does - see from 26 seconds. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I know it's a WIP and it's pedantic, but I can't help notice hoow bad it is animation and physics-wise. The balloon wobble is wrong too, but I can forgive that - at least it adds life to the scene.

However, the newer version is a massive improvement and hopefully the final version will be equally better
Sun, 17 Apr 2016, 16:10
therevillsgames
Just listening to the latest podcast and they are gearing up for PAX, in which they talk about animations such as grass moving in that first bridge scene etc.

https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/podcast47

Maybe my post regarding your criticisms Rockford pushed them to do them
Mon, 18 Apr 2016, 00:54
rockford
Who knows - it certainly needed a push in the right direction; the world was dead.
Mon, 25 Apr 2016, 17:11
therevillsgames
Heres a twitch stream from PAX and around 3:55 you can see the new animation:

https://www.twitch.tv/xsplit/v/62544477

Looks a lot better now.
Tue, 26 Apr 2016, 00:30
rockford
Yep, that makes a big difference.