-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|585|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> BlitzCoding

Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 18:15
therevillsgames
Where my Blitz journey started: Linkage
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 18:15
therevillsgames
Actually maybe not... as I remember owning the manual in the binder...
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 22:25
Dabz
Mine was from PC Floormat, never programmed for years, then, found that and wallop... Tinkering like a good'un!

My first Blitz game was a piss take, obviously back in the day, smoking in the house was the norm, and my brother would whinge about it... So, I cropped his head off a photo (Enemy), got an image of a regal kingsize box (Ship) and an image of a tab (Bullet)... And the idea was to shoot him with ciggies... When you fired the ciggie, I would say "Wanna tab"... I found it funny!

My first proper finished game in BlitzBasic was a snake game based in space, it came out well and if I say so, it was pretty good... Alas, havent got the sources for any of them... But they were fun and I fondly remember making them!

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Thu, 11 Feb 2016, 22:59
steve_ancell
PC Format here too.
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 00:26
GfK
Had BB2 with the ring-binder manual. Then I got the PC version about a week after it came out. Went to Guildhall Leisure and picked it up since they were just a couple miles up the road at the time.

Best move I ever made. Ended up working there after Infogrames shat on me.
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 01:52
Jayenkai
I found Blitz 2.0 in a Game store, of all places. It was hidden away in the corner of the store, amongst all the other "not gamey" Amiga software.
Having spent a good few years with Amos, I thought I'd probably enjoy it.
Truth is, I couldn't grasp the drastic syntax change between Amos and Blitz.
My copy of Blitz was pretty much ignored, other than a few random bits and pieces. It wasn't until I switched to PC and no longer had Amos to fall back on, that I started using Blitz.
My Blitz 2D came on a PC Plus coverdisk.
Every other blitz since has been bought, and made damn good use out of!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 01:55
GfK
Yeah I was from the AMOS camp, too. Met Lee Bamber once - the Relics of Deldroneye guy, oh and DarkBasic. Nice bloke. We drank pints.
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 08:31
rockford
I got BlitzBasic off of that PC Format too, and liked it, so bought it full price with the manual. I then bought Blitz3D, then Max.

I really enjoyed all the languages. Didn't get into monkey, pretty much due to severe lack of time, but I'm sure I would have bought into that too.
Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 08:40
GfK
BRL went batshit mental over Idigicon giving it away for free. But the sheer number of people who got it and then went on to buy Blitzmax, Blitz3D etc probably owes a hell of a lot to that move.

But with BRL giving away everything they've done right up to Blitzmax now, I reckon they've seen the light.