-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|703|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> RIP Threads -> RIP : Red October

Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 03:07
Dabz
RIP Red October, may you finish your sub game up there, somewhere Linkage

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 07:24
Dabz
I got on okay with him on the forums, but yeah, you dont really know who people really are until you meet them face to face.

Me... I dont have that problem... I'm an idiot away from the keyboard as well!

Still... Always a bit "meh" when you hear people who you used to chatter away with late in the night have passed away.

Dabz

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 09:28
rockford
People obviously didn't chat with him that much - he's been dead 5 months.

Can't say I remember him TBH. What's the sub game that the Blitz forumites are talking about? I can't remember that either.
Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 10:02
Dabz
Ah well yes, but I'm talking about years ago... He left the blitz scene and went to other forums.

His sub game was a work in progress of sorts, he never finished it and it was converted from one 3D engine to another... I had a try of it one night, he put up a link, and it was okay, the sub control mechanics felt right and that... But again, it didn't get pushed on, just moved to another engine.

Dabz

-=-=-
Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 10:14
Jayenkai
A lesson learned. Stop switching languages and get the game done.
.. Because you never know how long you'll have.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 10:32
Dabz
Well, I remember him being a bit huffed with Blitz3D (that's why he got banned), basically his sub game was getting pretty meaty when he was adding bells and whistles, using a lot of archived code... Unfortunately, this code wasn't optimised...it was demo gear... So, frame rates started to fall because of that, and well... He started looking elsewhere!

Unfortunately, there is no perfect engine... And he obviously never found one to suit... If he could've just let quality drop a little, blitz3D would've done him, but he was after Crisis levels of detail in DX7.... Never gonna happen, and I did tell him that one night at syntaxbomb/indiecodez (whichever one it was)

Dabz

-=-=-
Wed, 07 Oct 2015, 23:01
EdzUp
Yeah I remember him trying other engines, didn't know he got banned though.

Heck it's so easy for a coder to get stuck in the engine change trap especially when the next one 'promises' massive speed increases. I've learned the lesson here and I'm finally adding to me own
Thu, 08 Oct 2015, 06:53
steve_ancell
Dabz I remember him being a bit huffed with Blitz3D (that's why he got banned)

That's a bit like getting banned from a supermarket for moaning about high prices.
Thu, 08 Oct 2015, 07:44
rockford
Don't forget to post the image here too