-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|698|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Websites : Scale to Fit

Sun, 30 Aug 2015, 14:15
HoboBen
So it's 2015, and I think it's *finally* time to stop testing websites for 1024x768 and instead assume 1280x720!

-=-=-
blog | work | code | more code
Sun, 30 Aug 2015, 14:15
cyangames
Actually, with mobile being as big as it is, you're testing for an adapative layout that scales down to 320 pixels wide nowadays!

CSS Media queries can take a lot of bite out from them though so don't be afraid to use them where you can.

I normally go for a 1024 wide resolution, then a lower 600px to 970px size, then a minimal (1column) version for lower widths if that helps out?

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Sun, 30 Aug 2015, 15:41
Jayenkai
Yeah, mobile fucks it all up.
I'm quite comfortable having SoCoder aim for an approximate 1024 minimum, since that fits ok on my iPad, and is easily zoomable on anything smaller. .. But Google and all will frequently tell me off for having an "unoptimised for mobile" layout! Fussy fuckers!!!

Ctrl and Plus are your friend.. Chrome remembers per-site zoom settings, and I'm sure most other browsers should do that, too..

Oh yeah, and if we're talking "standard desktop resolution", I think most can assume 1920x1080 nowadays. That seems to be the standard that Windows goes for.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sun, 30 Aug 2015, 19:43
therevillsgames
I just use BootStrap and it does all the magic for me, and it stops Google telling me off
Mon, 31 Aug 2015, 03:11
spinal
Wait, Why are you *not* testing for lower resolutions? There is a billion different devices with internet access these days, most of them with entirely different screen resolutions.

-=-=-
Check out my excellent homepage!
Mon, 31 Aug 2015, 03:44
HoboBen
I'm working on a website now that looks okay at 1024x768 right down to tiny 320 pixel mobiles.

But, like, optimising it to be readable at 1280 to 1920.

You know how you occasionally find a (usually corporate) website designed for when people still used 640x480 or 800x600? Websites designed for 1024x768 look dated like that now!

-=-=-
blog | work | code | more code
Mon, 31 Aug 2015, 06:21
Jayenkai
Much like how it took me years to get used to creating multi-resolution games, it'll probably take me twice as long to do the same with websites.
Given my hatred of all things CSS, and the fact that I despise half-assed "not quite the full experience" badly made "mobile" websites, I'm quite happy that SoCoder is at least usable on mobile devices, even if it's not perfect.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''