-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|486|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Game Engine

Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 10:07
Hotshot
It seem quite lots of Blitz user have move on trying new Game Engine such as Unity 3D

There are other 3D Game Engine are Free

Unity 3D
Unreal Engine 4

There is CryEngine on steam which should be Free but it isnt. It does have CryEngine 3 which is free but it doesnt update them anymore.

I have been told that you create game faster on Unreal Engine Than CryEngine!

So are you sticking on BlitzMax or moving on different game Engine....

It would be interesting to compare all those 3 Different Game Engine. Unity 3D and Unreal Engine seem daunting at first but once you get hang of it and it become easier. CryEngine? I think it is bit easier than Unity but everyone is different.
Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 11:14
Jayenkai
I tried Unity 5 for a week or so, and although I found that it wasn't for me, that wasn't due to the way that Unity is. Unity is, in fact, a really quite powerful and easy to use engine. It's capable of a lot of things, and achieves them well.

The reason I went back to Monkey-X is because I'm already comfortable with it, already have a wonderful fully featured framework in it, and can rapidly churn out great little games with it.
I wouldn't "not" recommend Unity, and I also wouldn't not recommend any ot the others mentioned.
They are what they are, and given enough time I would probably grow comfortable with any of them.

But I had Blitz 2.0 on my Amiga, Blitz 2D/3D/Max on PC, and now Monkey-X. This isn't a short term affair, this is nearly 20 years that I've spent with these languages. I'm going to carry on using them, because I'm comfortable with them, and they work well with the sort of things that I'm doing.
It doesn't make the others "bad" or "wrong", it just makes them "not what I want right now."
Perhaps in future, I'll take another longer ride on the Unity bus, but right now it's not what works for me.

I'm old, I'm grumpy, and I'm set in my ways.. And I'm happy that Blitz is my way.

They're all "free-ish" so there's no harm in trying everything out. The only thing you need is time. Time to figure them out, time to grow comfortable with them, and time to learn the best ways to create what you want.

Learning can be fun!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sun, 19 Apr 2015, 01:48
Afr0
Keep in mind that Unreal Engine won't give you access to source code unless you pay, so I'd stick with Unity for MMOs because at least you'll be scripting with C#. I'm not even sure that the UDK scripting language (can't recall what it's called) supports networking.

-=-=-
Afr0 Games

Project Dollhouse on Github - Please fork!