-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|464|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> On Topic -> Games that take you back

Thu, 16 Apr 2015, 16:11
Steve Elliott
Thinking about this today...Games that take you back - what are they? And why? I grew up in the first generation of video games, as they were called then. Fond memories.

Space Invaders and Pacman for a start - the sounds of those 2 games alone spark so many memories of the arcades. For all the noise of the arcade as you walked in, those two games could always be heard.

Manic Miner on the Spectrum. That theme tune, which today is also the theme tune of the amazing Alton Towers which I love to visit...And my phone landline ringtone - not that I asked for it lol - so I guess sound plays a major part in remembering.

From my holidays at Butlins in the UK as a kid the 2 games I remember most were Kung-Fu Master and Out Run. I was crap at both

At college it was Golden Axe, Street Fighter 2, Toobin and some fancy 3D polygon racing game.

I guess for some it's either music - or games (or both) that bring memories flooding back. Music and games for me, and I do feel privileged to have seen the first wave of computer games. What are your fondest memories?

-=-=-
Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.2GHZ 8Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2Gb, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
Thu, 16 Apr 2015, 18:27
Jayenkai
One day, me and my sister were playing Oh Mummy on the CPC. Taking it in turns, seeing who could get further!
She was up to level three, and two mummies chased her into the corner, then she froze..
".. Run, Celia! Run!" I shouted.. No movement on the screen.. The mummies eeked closer!
I looked across to see her lying on the floor having an epileptic seizure!!

... She didn't get past level 3.

Before we had the Amstrad, we had a ZX Spectrum. Mum played WAY too much Scrabble on the thing, enough to wear out the powerpack, so we upgraded to the Amstrad.
But one of the early games we had on the Spectrum was a Pacman clone called "gobble the ghosts". To this day, that's still what Mum calls Pacman.
https://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=112&products_id=831

Also on the spectrum was a Paddington Bear game. Now, keep in mind that we bought the Amstrad when I was about 5 years old, so my time spent with the Spectrum was before that..
I do have one particular memory of that Paddington Bear game, and it's that neither me nor my sister could get the damn thing to start.
The game loaded, then asked "What is the capital of Peru?"..
Despite all our efforts, the game would NOT accept P as the answer, and that was as far as we ever got.

.. It's odd what things stick in your memory...

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 16 Apr 2015, 23:45
steve_ancell
Jayenkai I looked across to see her lying on the floor having an epileptic seizure!!

My sister has epilepsy, she's been lucky when it comes to video games though.
Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 00:46
rockford
The intro music to PacMan and Galaxian sends happy thoughts down my whole body.

View on YouTube
(1:00min in).

View on YouTube

The thrum of the alien hordes in "Space Invaders"

And of course all the music in the arcade game OutRun.

These all take me way back to a period where every single new game was (or at least appeared to be) new or innovative and not a clone or cheap cash-in.
Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 08:49
Hotshot
Where shall I start?

Back in 80's, things that stand out for me as memorable moments in the Arcade would have be Outrun, Space Harriers(I been on it loads of time and now the Arcade machine is of Space harries is very hard to find!),Blood Bros(I nearly finished but it is very hard boss at last level!), Operation Wolf(what good blaster!), Super Hang on(feel like real motorbike when you riding on it!), Afterburner(it feel like real airplane when you are moving whatever directions is).

Then there was Scrolling Beat em up which was good fun such as Double Dragon, Final Fight, The Punisher and best out of all is Teenage Muntant Turtles which had 4 Players fighting all through was really good fun!

Best of the rest Arcade?

Gaunlets,GOLDEN AXE,Kung FU Master,Final Round(fast pace boxing game and it is hard as nail!),Space Invader, Pacman,Ghoul N Ghost.

Now for computer of 80'S.

I had my first computer(Atari 65XE) and the games stand out for me as memorable moment would have be Joe Blade(best version out all system!),Zybex(it had everythings and even the music is ACE!),Draconus(Good game with Excellent Music title), Henry's House(I was hooked as go through next level but it got harder!).

I also like point out that other games is worth metions such Star Raiders(First 3D Starfields!),Spy Vs Spy,Green Beret,Up, Up and away and Leaper( My Dad fav game!).

As for C64? Too many to lists but things stand out for me is Turrican 2(It like playing own Arcade machine at home and sound and Music was out of this world as like listen HI FI as it was that good!), IK+(What a game and music too!),Last Ninja 2 Remix,Myth(I still got the carts version and it even got speech in begin of the game!),Armalyte(I borrow my mate game wondering what fuss about and the title music blew me away and great game),Batman(what good batman that was), Rainbow Island, Rambo and Platoon.

The best of rest of C64 Games need to be metions are The Way of Exploding Fist ,Pitshop 2,Last Ninja 1,2,3 , Operation Wolf,IO (Really Hard Shoot em up!), Bubble Bobble,Barbarian,
Green Beret,PowerDrift,Target Renegade,Bruce Lee.

As for Amiga?

1) Senisble World of Soccer - Pick Any team in the world, I love Building my Team and take them to the top! What is amazing about is that come 50 Leagues in the world with all Players data, Team Colours shirt, hairs and so on onto just 2 Disks! Amazing!

2) Turrican 2 - Lots harder than C64 Versions, it had everythings you want with Amazing Music, great graphics and gameplay

3) Pinball Fantasies - I have played it too much, SpeedDevil and Stone n Bones are my fav table and again, Music is amazing and so it the games

4) Apidya - Love the game, Finished it. The Music was out of this world and I still got the Boxed game itself

5) Supercar 2 - Best Music Menu Intro by far. I have finished easy and medium but on hard level is very challange that not been finished yet! Great play with friends on this one

6) Lemmings - Simple game

7) The Secret of Monkey Island - Amazing Adventure Point n Click with Good sense of Humors

8 ) Banshee - Took most of it out of Amiga 1200 and I enjoy playing it as it is long levels with some boss to take out.

9) Stunt Car Racer - Somethings different to most of the game out there. It all about controlling your car on Cliff path and when you feeling the pressure to get pass computer car when you are in tight bend or jump ramp is so enjoyable and rewarding when you win!

10) Geoff Crammond F1 Grand Prix - When first come to Amiga and I found it hard to believe that I seeing 3D Racing F1 Game and it was amazing for time. I played with it my two friends on this game where you setup own F1 Car and go for Qualifier lap to see who got the Pole Positions then Real Race begin!

Best of rest Amiga?

Vroom ( Fastest Game ever!)
Rick Dangerious 1 and 2
Alien Breed: Tower Assault( Hard Game!)
Alien Breed: Special Edition
Turrican
Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
Rodland
Bubble Bobble
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge 1 and 2
Super Stardust
IK+
Cannon Fodder
Flashback
R TYPE 1 and 2
Another World
XENON 2
Shadow of the beast 1,2 and 3
SWIV
Desert Strike
Road Rash
GODS
Magic Pocket
The New Zealand Story
Jaguar 220XJ
Cannon Fodder 1 and 2
Speedball 2
The Untouchable
Rainbow Island ( C64 Version is better!)
Monkey Island 2
Pinball Dream
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
MoonstoneBeneath A Steel Sky
Championship Manager 93 and 94
The Manager
Ultimate Soccer Manager
Premier Manager 1 and 2
On the Ball
Football Manager 2
Battle Squadron
Super StarDust
Any Team 17 Games
INDIANAPOLIS 500
Blood Money
Silkworm
SkidMarks
Jungle Strike
Theme Park - Love building own Theme Park and Rollcoaster
GOAL
PROJECT X
GUNSHIP 2000
Gloom
Pang
F 19 and F29 Retailator
Super Hang on
Pac Mania
Pipe Mania
Golden Axe
Ghoul N Ghost
Zool

As Game console? I will save that for later as having my foods
Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 09:32
steve_ancell
A few that I remember playing quite a lot, but not necessarily in that order are:

ZX Spectrum:
Rapscallion
Horace Goes Skiing
Chequered Flag.

Amstrad:
Ikari Warriors
Commando
Radzone
Zub
Monty On The Run
Mutant Monty
Manic Miner