-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|456|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Atari Destroy! RAWR!!!

Page : 1 2 Next
Prev
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 07:06
Dabz
Asteroid Dodge has been taken off google play because Atari think ive infringed their trademark ’’Asteroids’’... Not sure what to make of it... apart from... the whinging bastards!

-=-=-
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 07:06
steve_ancell
Gameplay can't be copyrighted, only artwork. I don't see everyone's Arkanoid clones being pulled. That Mutant Monty clone I did is almost identical to the original but that's still not been pulled from GameJolt. Atari are being proper wankers for doing that.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 07:09
steve_ancell
I would seriously kick up a stink Dabz. Asteroid Dodge ain't nothing like Asteroids, it's more akin to Flappy Bird if anything.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 07:12
Jayenkai
One day, my games will be discovered.
.. And on that day, I'll be fucked!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 07:40
steve_ancell
Before any name changes just fill-in the wireframe roids with colour, use a pre-render approach for this to avoid slowdown.

If they still insist on issues then change the name to "'Roid-Dodge" or something. If they still won't allow it then that shows that Google are getting stuffed by Atari's cash-filled dildo, either that or the other way around.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 07:57
steve_ancell
Pepsi and Coke are self-made names though, asteroid/s is a word that was coined by science and astronomy. Whoever made up the law that allows someone to copyright a word that existed long before they themselve's even existed, needs a swift kick in the gonads.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:03
steve_ancell
It's the same with the word SWAG. Teenie-boppers use the term to describe their bling-bling, but I don't see any burglars trying to claim copyright on the word SWAG.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:05
steve_ancell
I know that laws is laws and all that, but you know I'm right.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:10
steve_ancell
With all these copyrighted words I'm surprised technology has advanced this far even. Could you imagine if the word "wire" was copyrighted by its inventor, we probably wouldn't have even got as far a ENIAC, let alone PCs. Can you imagine going to a shop or manufacturer and asking "can I have some of that long stuff that conducts electricity and have a coloured sheath over it?", someone would probably copyright all that I just put between those quotes so that would probably incur a lawsuit too.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:25
steve_ancell
Asteroid is a word too Kuron, that's my point.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:31
steve_ancell
I just went on GameJolt to view the situation on Mutant Monty. I just discovered that it's so far generated $0.28 in revenue, I had better barricade my front door before Artic Software or Amsoft come banging. LMAO!
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:38
steve_ancell
But this can go around in circles for eternity. Gremlin created Monty On The Run a year after John Prince created Mutant Monty for Artic and Amsoft, and yet they didn't moan.

I would have thought a game with a similar name to Asteroids would bring attention to Asteroids, and therefore attention to Atari; I see that as free advertising.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:51
rockford
But if it was just a case of using the name "Asteroid" or "Asteroids" in a game title they would have asked Google to remove all games with "Asteroid" surely, however a quick look reveals hundreds of such apps.

play.google.com/store/search?q=asteroid&c=apps&docType=1&sp=CAFiCgoIYXN0ZXJvaWR6AhgAigECCAE%3D&hl=en_GB

So why this one?
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:53
steve_ancell
Asteriods was a multi-million dollar moneymaker for Atari. Besides the games they are still releasing, there was also a board game, all kinds of merchandise over the years, etc.

I'm aware of all that, but it's still a dumbfuck law. Bottom line is the fact that they "trademarked" a multi-century long word.

Just a thought... How about dropping the 'e' in the word Asteroids, shortening it to Astroid Dodge.

|edit| Or Dodgaroids |edit|
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:55
Jayenkai
The way I see it, if any company ever asks me to take a game down, I'll do it. They were first, they deserve the right to whine and bitch about other folk using the names.
TetriPong springs to mind, as a possible takedown request!! Along with CentiPong, and god knows how much of a rip off RetroRaider is!!

I've always considered takedown requests to happen, but so far, I guess I'm still WAY under the radar, which is handy.

But I have no problems removing requested content, as long as I can first verify that it's actually from the owners, and not just some tit on the net, being all troll'ish and shit.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 08:58
steve_ancell
Jayenkai tit on the net

I can never come to imagine an internet without any tit.
Sun, 14 Dec 2014, 10:07
steve_ancell
Kuron I am doing a couple of cover songs and I will be paying the royalties, which means my album will be limited to 25 copies as that is all I can afford.

I think you only have to pay a royalty per sold copy, any copies not sold you probably won't need to pay for.

|edit| Unless you meant licensing |edit|
Page : 1 2 Next
Prev