-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|704|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Ah, the memories...

Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 07:08
Krakatomato
For a long time now I've been curious as to what the computers were we used at school. Until today that is, when a friend passed a link to a bunch of images of retro computers.

And there it was. A little bit of research and I'm now 99.9% sure that this is it:

A Research Machines 380Z.

Ah, the happy memories of clicking keys and a small black & white monitor - and grabbing at every tiny opportunity to get access to it.

Happy Days
Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 07:24
Jayenkai
'85/6/7 when i was at my first school, we had one of these..

Then we moved to Little Lever, and although we had a BBC there, too, we barely ever saw it. The new school seemed to be focussed on ..... teaching us things... and not tell Podd to pop, or dance, or anything else.

Stupid school..

Aaah, the BBC Micro computer. That bloody machine was with me at school from day one, right up until midway through secondary school..

... God damnit!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 07:29
cyangames
There were some Micros which we tried out in year 6 at Primary School, I can remember playing through a game where you had to evolve a group of 8 ants.

Year 7 and Secondary School meant BBC Basic and from year 8, QBasic. NYOM NYOM QBasic

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 07:31
Krakatomato
We didn't have Beebs back in the early 80's - my first exposure to those was at Rother Vally College (around 86/87 I think). Spent many happy hours playing with those though
Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 13:51
steve_ancell
I remember a few BBC Micro Model-A's dotted around primary and junior school, at high school there were shitloads of Model-B's and a few Model-A's. Most of those Beebs were replaced around my last couple of years in high school by Acorn Archimedes. I wish I had rescued a few Beebs from the storage container before waste diposal took it, they could have been worth something now.
Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 14:56
rockford
The first computer we ever got at school was an Apple II, that was in 1981 or '82 in junior school.

Then in secondary we had BBC Model Bs. Well, we had them, but they weren't used - there was no teacher to teach anyone how to use them. Went through 5 years of secondary school without ever touching one.
Fri, 17 Oct 2014, 22:54
HoboBen
In Nursery school, we used an Acorn Touchscreen (yeah, way way way waaaaaaay before touchscreens became a thing) and when I was three years old had an old Superted branded (what I think was a...) BBC micro with BASIC.

God technology was waaaaaay cooler back then.

P.S. for the brits who know Superted, did you know he was Welsh?

-=-=-
blog | work | code | more code
Sat, 18 Oct 2014, 04:52
Jayenkai
.... I thought everyone knew he was Welsh?

*shrugs*

I'd also always assumed that Why Don't You was Welsh, but apparently it wasn't specifically Welsh. .. It was all over the place!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''