-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|628|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> Ampersand!

Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 15:20
Jayenkai
Damn you, Ampersand!!!!!!!
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 15:20
cyangames
Ampersand would be a great Bond Villain name come to think about it.

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 16:48
Jayenkai
It's an odd bug, this one. I'm not finding a lot of ampersand issues, and am now pretty much convinced that it's all down to that "ShoutBox reply" script, so will be delving into that some time in the future.

.. Having said that, it also does it with topic titles, too, so.. .. Grrr!!
Here's hoping HTML6 scraps speechmarks, apostrophies, ampersands and other "common" elements, and starts making some goddamned sense!!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 19:11
dna
You're still having problems with the Ampersand when writing HTML 5?
Is there no manual that can show a work around for using that?

-=-=-
DNA
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 22:20
Jayenkai
Sure, but I'd much rather have the bugs, thankyou very much.

The reason these things occasionally pop up is not due to "shitty crappy inability", it is in fact due to the ludicrous amount of overprotectiveness that I've baked into this site.
It's you typing "&" and the server changing it to "&amp!" Like it's supposed to, but then the site also going "Hmm, that might be a hack attempt", so accidentally doing it again.
To prevent SQL injection, the server also pads it out a bit more, and then when it comes to displaying it, it gets all freaky and does extra switching about..
If you try to "edit" a post that's had all of that done to it, it needs to undo everything, and then when you repost it, it all get redone all over again.
It's fairly complex, if I'm honest, and evidentially "overcomplicated" given the occasional server-farts.
But I'd much rather it fail with screwy output, than fail with an SQL database breach.

My code is by no means foolproof, but I pad everything I can, and try my best to keep things secure.

And anyway, If I follow a manual, then so can a hacker..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sun, 28 Sep 2014, 05:16
steve_ancell
SoCoder wouldn't be the same without any bugz, the bugz give this site a unique character.