-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|577|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> Off Topic -> SolidScan

Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 12:16
Jayenkai
Yikes! Linkage

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 12:16
rockford
Maybe it'll be usable come the time of the PS27... Amazing
Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 13:10
steve_ancell
I remember when this was still in the pipeline, there were a lot of trolls and critics saying that it was a hoax. What is stated in this part of the the wiki should be putting those trolls back under their bridges by now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclideon#Criticism
Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 16:05
shroom_monk
While this seems to have come on quite a bit back from those old 'unlimited detail' videos, it is still rather too good to be true. Notice that each of the dioramas in the video are actually quite small, and only really facing in one direction. While the technology is impressive, it seems clear that it cannot handle anything larger than a small scene.

Memory is the killer here - even the fanciest compression isn't going to back that much detail into a feasible amount of memory.

-=-=-
A mushroom a day keeps the doctor away...

Keep It Simple, Shroom!
Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 16:10
Jayenkai
Agreed, but for future usage, this'd be great once we get a holodeck!

Unless they can upload a nice small demo, I'll assume a multi-terabyte filesize!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 25 Sep 2014, 16:49
rockford
the dioramas in the video are actually quite small, and only really facing in one direction.

Also notice the distortion when the camera pans upwards and the visibly straight edges to the paths (especially) when close to the edge.

However, they are still very impressive and a clear indicator that given unlimited memory (soon to be quite likely given that games that use these sorts of tech will use cloud-based servers) that we'll be seeing almost photo-realism in games probably within the next decade.

The other issue here we're not seeing is physics based movement/interaction of any kind or lighting from random sources.

I also wonder how enemies will appear when their surroundings are so real - AI is going to have to seriously ramp up or there'll be a massive disparity between convincing an audience or portraying a cartoon character in a real world.

Also explosions and physics based objects (as I mentioned above) will have to have realistic affects in these worlds or all they are is photographs stapled to a polygonal world (in other words exactly what they are now).
Fri, 26 Sep 2014, 02:52
cyangames
Perfect for another remake of Knightmare though

-=-=-
Web / Game Dev, occasionally finishes off coding games also!
Fri, 26 Sep 2014, 07:38
rockford
Oooooh yes please!
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 02:21
shroom_monk
A point I forgot to make, and that is also worth considering, is that these worlds are completely static: none of this can be animated. The only way to store a collection of points this dense in such a way that it renders at any reasonable framerate is with a very clever and well optimised data structure - however these are never very admitting to animation. Such data structures usually sacrifice time to populate them in order to get a very efficient read / render time, and as such, moving bulk quantities of points to another location in space becomes a very expensive operation.

So, the future of VR museum exhibits (as in the video)? Perhaps. The future of videogames? Most probably not.

-=-=-

Keep It Simple, Shroom!
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 05:18
shroom_monk
And hey, something else that came to mind while I was in the shower: being static scenes, all the lighting is probably baked in (in fact, given these are scenes taken from photographs, they most certainly must be). Doing any kind of shadow-casting / dynamic lighting with data that is a collection of volume-less points is gonna be nigh-on impossible in any kind of visually acceptable way, and certainly not within any sensible framerate.

-=-=-

Keep It Simple, Shroom!
Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 05:27
Jayenkai
All engines have to start somewhere, and having a granular view of the world might be something interesting in the future.
Sure, right now it's WAY too much detail, and is more or less useless as an ingame engine.
..but think of alternatives.
Imagine coupling the renderer with an MRI scan, and having a full 3D view of the scan.
Imagine CAD uses, allowing much more realistic views.
Imagine CGI movies/environments built with this sort of technology!
....imagine live chatting with your Facebook friends and family, with this on Oculus Rift...

In the future, this might be as commonplace as Voxel's.. Remember when voxel's first appeared, and you needed a supercomputer to display more than 10 at once!!!?

It's a starting point, and given they already appear to have fully working environmental scanners to do the scanning work, I'd say they're probably going to get pretty far with it.
Quite what comes of it, we'll have to wait and see.
Maybe in a decade's time, we can all look back on this topic, and laugh at how silly we all were to doubt it!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''