-=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- (c) WidthPadding Industries 1987 0|700|0 -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=- -=+=-
Socoder -> In-Development -> AGameAWeek Progress Report

Page : 1 2 Next 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev
Wed, 19 Mar 2014, 16:16
Jayenkai
As I continue to post random tidbits to Twitter, and *that OUYA Forum* I find myself clicking over to Socoder, and going.. hmmm.. where can I dump all my AGameAWeek in-dev crap?

For a while, last year, I kept a "Learning with Monkey" thread, and used that as a general dumping ground for bits and pieces, and it seemed quite handy for that.
I figured it was probably time to start another one of those.. except this time it doesn't have as catchy a title, since I've learned a heck of a lot about the Monkey, and all the best ways to wrangle it.

So, this won't be a learning thread. Instead, we'll consider it an Experimental thread, and I'll try to recount all the odd experiences that I encounter along my AGameAWeek journey.

.. or at least, I will until I forget to update the thread, and eventually let it drop below the sidebar's scope, and inevitably lose track of it altogether!

I'm currently enjoying the craziness of having posted my Flappy Bird Clone. Everyone who's played the thing seems to have come away having loved it, which is a great thing to see, especially when they're expecting "Yet another bloody flappy clone"

Today, I released both Disc Blaster and Spiky Tower for iOS, but have been so completely wrapped up in starting a new Platdude game (which, incidentally, must be finished by about mid-Monday!) that I've not yet had any time, at all, to spend doing "PR Crap" for the games.
I can't imagine that'll be a great amount of sales, until such a time I can get around to playing "Mr Spambot"..
.. Then they'll probably both fall flat, anyway, so .. Meh, whatever!!

I'm currently working on a "Platdude in ..." game. I'm not sure what it'll be, but I've currently got a fairly stable platform engine up and running, and it's running along quite nicely.
Next up, adding some kind of gameplay into the mix!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 20 Mar 2014, 13:20
Jayenkai
I've started thinking about Leaderboards, but there's a lot of stuff to work on..
I wrote a Bloggy Post about it..

Any thoughts?

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 21 Mar 2014, 05:47
Jayenkai
Hmm.. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with my Platform engine.. Not really sure where to take it, to be honest.

... Time's too short to do something else, though, so I guess I'm stuck with it.
erk!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 22 Mar 2014, 04:27
Jayenkai
Going in a slightly different direction.. There are now Ghostbuster style Ghost-traps around the area, and ghosts that chase you around.
The mechanic works, but there's still something lacking, and I'm not entirely sure what that is..
Will keep tweaking. Something's bound to emerge.. Maybe..

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 22 Mar 2014, 07:57
Jayenkai
Finally got around to posting Disc Blaster and Spiky Tower topics over at TouchArcade.. Taken me all bloomin' week to get around to that. *tsk*

Platdude Ghosty thing is starting to feel a bit better. I added a teensy bit of intelligence to the ghosts, and they've all started to chase a little better.
I'm not sure whether to add weapons or not, now. Will keep playing until it becomes obvious what's best.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Sat, 22 Mar 2014, 08:56
steve_ancell
That's a whole lot more fun than Activision's version of Ghostbusters, I like that set the trap and use the player as bait idea.
Sun, 23 Mar 2014, 15:21
Jayenkai
Been a long, long day, today, trying to get everything into a sort of presentable form.
I think it' smoothly all done, but it's still lacking running and jumping SFX, along with actual death!! Death will be as simple as "don't touch the ghosts!"... I just haven't got round to adding it in, yet!!

*sigh* a very hectic week, this week.
Hopefully it pays off.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 24 Mar 2014, 15:07
Jayenkai

With "The Spirit Collector" finally done and dusted, its time to sit and plan out next week's game.
Since next Tuesday is going to be April Fools day, I think it's probably about time that I dared to tackle something that I considered making a long long long.... LONG time ago..
In fact, if you can find the BlitzCoder archives, anywhere, you'll probably be able to find my original post about this game.
It never actually got far into development, simply because I couldn't be arsed animating a whole world that looks like the above.
Luckily, I've learned a few tricks in the intervening years, most importantly the "you can get away with just wiggling them about, like puppets" rule..

I'll be testing this out over the next few days, and hopefully I can pull it off.

Wish me luck!!!

ALS GAIM IS PROBLY COMING SOON!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Mon, 24 Mar 2014, 15:27
steve_ancell
Is there going to be a Windows/in-browser version of The Spirit Collector, or is it exclusive to OUYA?.
Mon, 24 Mar 2014, 15:43
Jayenkai
As with all AGameAWeek this year, it should be popping up on OUYA momentarily, then in the morning I'll get it up on GooglePlay, as well as upping it to GameJolt for in-browser, and lastly, the Windows EXE on my own damn site!!! I'm always the last to get these things!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 01:43
spinal
Any chance of a driving game of some sort next?
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 07:12
Jayenkai
Platdude in "The Spirit Collector"

^ Still haven't quite got the Android edition to feel right on a touchscreen, yet, though..
.. I might give up trying!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 14:17
Jayenkai
Unsure exactly what from the AL game will take...
On the one hand, I've drawn a lovely selection of buildings and characters, and am actually aiming for some sort of point'n'click style adventure.
On the other hand.. That might take more than a week!!!

No idea where this'll end up.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 17:14
dna
On the subject of a game week; Jay, did you get the TGC Appkit when it was free?

If you did then are you going to port all your games over to that for WIDE cross platform compatibility?

-=-=-
DNA
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 17:19
Jayenkai
No, I didn't.
Doing AGameAWeek, I have little or no time to switch to different languages.
It takes a ludicrous amount of time, having to learn a new language, and rebuild my entire framework from scratch.
The only reason I was really able to make the switch from BlitzMax to Monkey was because I had a .. Um.. Small bit of free time during 2012!!!

Right now, switching to AGK would achieve nothing more than I can already manage, so there's no point in me taking the time out, all for the same end result.

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 17:48
dna

Well the compiler has a BASIC variant in it that is not too much different from BB.

I understand completely though. If it were not for the BASIC that it is capable of using then I would not have bothered.

-=-=-
DNA
Tue, 25 Mar 2014, 19:06
9572AD
Monkey already does Windows, Mac, Android and Ipple - along with other things. So, unless the AppGameKit were easier to use there's no reason to switch.

-=-=-
All the raw, animal magnetism of a rutabaga.
Wed, 26 Mar 2014, 03:40
steve_ancell
9572AD Monkey already does Windows, Mac, Android and Ipple - along with other things. So, unless the AppGameKit were easier to use there's no reason to switch

I bought AGK before I bought Monkey-X. AGK does have one handy feature that Monkey-X doesn't, it has a player thing that installs onto the target device for easy debugging.
Wed, 26 Mar 2014, 14:04
Jayenkai
....and then, AL was gone again..
As silly and humorous as ALS ADVENCHUR might've been, it appears I'm not in the mood to figure out how to get all the artsy stuff shifted from iPad to PC, in a nice usable manner.
So, sod it, I'll make something else instead!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Thu, 27 Mar 2014, 04:16
Jayenkai
Woke up with a random game idea in my head.
Unsure if it'll work, and definitely unsure that I can cram it into the space of the next few days, but.. Hey, that's what AGameAWeek is all about, right!?

.... Gah!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Fri, 28 Mar 2014, 08:07
Jayenkai
Finally stumbled upon something that's actually working for a change. The age-old "Chain Reaction" explosion game thing, where you blow up enemy splodges, sending more explosions outwards..
Needs a lot of work, and only a couple of days to do it, but .... so far it's not completely shit, so that makes it the best game I've started all week!!!!

-=-=-
''Load, Next List!''
Page : 1 2 Next 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev